Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Building Bridges via Writer's Digest

We've all heard the saying, "The best way to make a friend is to be a friend." So. True. It's a give and take relationship (kinda like marriage but without the...perks), and the more you give, the more you get in return. Usually.

When building an author platform (and reputation) the same mantra rings true. You have to put yourself out there, volunteer your time and skills with only the mere hope that it will pay off at some point down the road. I'm not exactly a proponent of things like facebook, myspace, and twitter, but I do understand why and how they work for some authors. If you've got the time, by all means, go for it. I, however, do not have the time.

Blogging is still one of the best ways to present yourself, especially for writers because, well, you write on a blog. A lot. It's also a good way to interconnect. Start following someone's blog, and they're likely to return the favor and follow yours. Remember to comment on their posts, too. Give, give, give!

For more tips on effective blogging, check out these links:

10 Commandments of Blogging at Pimp My Novel
Author Blogging at Editorial Ass

(I believe both of those posts also include more links to other helpful sites.)


Over the past year (14 months, to be exact), I've built a handful of relationships on the Writer's Digest forum. I'm eternally grateful to people like Liz Penn, Traci Grant, Kaycee Looney, Jenn Lidster, Emily White, and many others (sorry if I missed your name), for helping me improve my writing, and I hope that I have in some way been of help to them in return. Also, people like Jeff Yeager, Georganna Hancock, James Ritchie (and again, many others) have helped me understand aspects of editing and publishing that I wouldn't have otherwise obtained without firsthand experience. A BIG THANKS to all!

Writer's Digest has recently started a new community (aptly titled, the Writer's Digest Community), that is being coined by some as the "facebook for writers." The main thing I'm enjoying there, is that you're able to get a lot of face time on the main page, just by participating. By having your name viewable, people get curious. They click on your profile and...instant publicity. It's great. Join discussion groups (and post!), start a blog (and post!), comment on other people's stuff, and suddenly, you're your own publicist, and learning about writing and publishing while you do it. Bonus.

It's no secret that word of mouth can be a writer's best friend or their worst enemy. Be selective in how many online communities you participate in (too many, and they will quickly suck you dry of precious writing time), and remember (always!) that most everything on the internet is public. Agents are not quiet about the fact that they will research you on the internet before deciding whether or not to represent your work. Don't ruin your career before it starts by making comments/posts during the heat of emotion. Stay objective and professional.

I encourage everyone to check out the new Writer's Digest Community and let me know what you think. And if anyone has any good/bad experiences they'd like to share about other platform venues (I didn't even scratch the surface here, I know), or how a seemingly insignificant relationship with someone had helped them achieve success, please do so in the comments. Looking forward to reading them!

~Lydia

17 comments:

  1. Lydia,

    Thanks for sharing the link to the Writer's Digest Community. I've been looking for something like this, and I can't wait to check it out.

    So far, I only use the tired ol' facebook/twitter combo along with following writerly blogs. It's still early in the game for me, but it's never to soon to start building bridges, even if one is just working on the blueprints.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome, Amber! I only just joined the new community, but so far, I'm impressed. Hope to see you there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's Writer's Digest forum smashed into a thinner package. Literally. The screen looks like a news ticker on FOX Newschannel.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just had to tell you I loved your comment on Nathan Bransford's blog today.

    Have a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also loved your comment on Nathan's blog today ... I copied it down to add to my motivation file. ;)

    Thanks for the tip on the Writer's Digest community. I'll see you there. This came at exactly the right time for me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i joined it and am a member of six sentences on ning as well. but as you pointed out time is an issue and because of that i know i can pop in there when i have some extra.
    georganna is such a hoot and many others too

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good point, Paige. That's what is nice about forums like that. You can stop in anytime and not really miss a beat.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like this post. I haven't visited the Writer's Digest Community yet, but I agree with what you said. You have to put yourself out there, in your posts and in your comments, to help and encourage others. I've been so impressed with the blogosphere community--so supportive.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dawn, I think I can honestly say that, if it weren't for our blogs, I probably would have never met you.

    Glad I did, though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I haven't had a chance to check it out properly but will do at some point. I'm kind of excited about it but am also apprehensive of all the extra work that might be involved. I'll see what I and you guys here think.

    Jai

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a great post, Lydia. We do need to help each other out when and if we can.

    I like the new forum, but I'm trying to be careful about spending too much time here, there and everywhere. Writing, we must leave time for that!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jai and D:

    Anything can suck away your writing time if you let it. I completely understand what you're saying. Every time I add something new to my plate, I have to reorganize my schedule. Fortunately, there are plenty of ways to network, so we can pick and choose which ones work best for us.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You're right about giving Lexi. I think I can so caught up in my writing that I forget that I need to give out my help as well! Plus, the best way to learn is to teach and give advice because you never know what other opinions or information might come to build on your knowledge! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well, Lydia, you got me to join! I've heard about it from WD, but your post compelled me to go over there.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nice article. Lovin' the WD community myself. Congrats on the mention of your review. That's got me curious about the Bookbook site. Do they allow any writer, even unpublished ones to review books?


    Steve Denton aka S.C. Denton
    The Act of Becoming
    http://stevedenton79.spaces.live.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting!