Friday, February 1, 2013

In Which I Disagree with Popular Opinion

Busy day ahead for me, so just a quick question for you all:

Why such hate toward Wrath of the Titans?


The Hubby and I finally got around to watching it yesterday, despite the plethora of negativity we've seen and heard about this film. We liked the Clash remake. Didn't love it, but liked it enough to want to see its sequel.

And we were actually impressed by Wrath.

It was by no means a perfect film--even the title is not quite right because, although it clearly affiliates it with Clash, the wrath actually comes from the gods, not the Titans. But we thought it was better than the Clash remake, and even fixed some issues we had with it (like, for me, the lack of romance between Perseus and Andromeda in Clash was pretty infuriating).

We were expecting an awful film. We were searching for such awfulness from minute to minute, scene to scene. But we were hard-pressed to find anything worthy of being called "awful", and we are pretty tough film critics. We have no qualms about shredding a movie with our harsh criticism until it just shuts itself off to avoid further embarrassment. In the end, we agreed that Wrath was entertaining and worth the watch. I could also do an entire BDSS series on how tightly the plot was written. It had not one beat out of place.


Scream it from the top of Mount Olympus--We loved it.

Although, to be fair, we were already big fans of many of the actors in this movie (Sam Worthington, Liam Neeson, Bill Nighy, Rosamund Pike--and after watching Wrath I am now also a fan of Toby Kebbell). It wouldn't be accurate of me to say this doesn't affect your opinion. It does.

So I'm honestly just curious: If you didn't like this film, why?

Have a great weekend,
~Lydia

7 comments:

  1. I actually agree with you. While there were definitely many inconsistencies when Greek mythology, I thought the movie was entertaining and I personally love the visual effects of both TITANS films. But that's just me. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of the first things my husband said near the beginning was that the Kronos story had been skewed. But after that we were too busy being entertained to care about the little creative liberties the writers had taken here and there. And yes, the visual effects were AMAZING. I'm glad you liked it, too, despite the minor flaws.

      Delete
  2. okay... i say good day... good day! (slowly i turn and walk away)
    visually stunning film, just the "what-the" point i felt the whole time...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely understand feeling that way about a movie. Sometimes a story just doesn't jive with you. It's perfectly okay to not like it! I just wanted to know why. Thanks for weighing in. :-)

      Delete
  3. I agree with you; it wasn't that poorly made.... I felt the visual effects and action were enough to keep me watching, at least in this case.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay, so I'm not crazy? Or maybe all of us who enjoyed it were just afraid to say so, I don't know. Thanks for commenting. :-)

      Delete
  4. It wasn't as good as the original, but I still liked it. Definitely not as awful as I'd heard. (The fact that they finally had Worthington in period-appropriate hair didn't hurt, either.) I really, really enjoyed the scenes with Liam Neeson and Ralph Fiennes--they gave me ideas for a story. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting!